A Toast to the Glory

After First Draft: A Literary Social 

w. Tamiko Beyer


To the glory of your scent 

(which draws me in, unwavering)


To the glory of the way you look 

to me (this is important)


To the glory of your music 

(which you alone are the god of)


To the glory of your self-proclaimed broken soul

(which is your soul, nonetheless, let’s not forget)


To the glory of your love 

(which I crave)


To the glory of your brown eyes 

(just like mine)


To the glory of the mirror you hold
up to my own broken soul

(which is also my soul, 

let’s not forget)


To the glory of broken souls

(which come together 

to share in their brokenness)


So they can (finally) heal

So they can have a better future

(where things go their way more than they don’t)


So they (finally) have

a safe place to call home

and (also finally) peace of mind


To the glory of all the new people I call home

(they taught me about true love,

owning my power, and holding space)


To the glory of the ongoing battle of self-care 

waged by every soul plagued by apathy


To the glory of imperfections

(which really can be our perfections,

disarming us to the ones we love)


To the glory of god, who (finally) isn’t at all bad

for knowing me as well as (and better than) I know myself


To the glory of the wilderness

(which, to me, is the backyard furnished by two chairs and a family of racoons)


To the glory of the sun

(which will rise and will set no matter 

what I do or fail to do)